Bragg Creek is a pristine country hamlet located in the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains. Roughly a thirty minute drive from the vibrant and exciting downtown core of Calgary, the hamlet of Bragg Creek is situated at the gateway to Kananaskis Country and the majestic Rocky Mountains. Provincial Parks (including Banff) in the region are unspoiled wilderness areas of unsurpassed natural beauty abounding in wildlife. They offer the resident and visitor alike fabulous opportunities for many outdoor activities. There are hundreds of miles of groomed and back country trails for cross country skiers, hikers, mountain bikers and equestrians. Bragg Creek is a sportsman’s and outdoorsman’s paradise providing golf courses, groomed multi-use trails, camping facilities, clear mountain lakes and streams for the avid fisherman. The Hamlet is a totally self sufficient community with pristine wilderness on the back porch and the bustling hub of the exciting city of Calgary at the front door.
- Population of the hamlet is in the neighborhood of 500
- Approximately 3,500 people live in the area, including the hamlet, West Bragg Creek, South Bragg Creek, Redwood Meadows and Wintergreen.
- Elevation is 1,300 meters (4,266 ft.)
- Properties (acreages) range from 2 acres to a quarter section (160 acres)
- Bragg Creek is a thirty-five kilometer (about 19 mile) commute to Calgary city limits. Many residents commute daily.
- There are some 820 homes in the Bragg Creek area
- The MD of Rocky View provides excellent schools and bus services. Kindergarten to grade 8 students attend Banded Peak School Grades 9 to 12 attend Springbank Community School. Many private schools also provide transportation from Bragg Creek.
- Pre-School is located in the hamlet (403-949-3002). You’ll also find Montessori School in Redwood Meadows.
- The Bragg Creek Centre hosts entertainment, recreational and cultural activities.
- The Tsuu T’ina Nation borders Bragg Creek, to the East and Kananaskis Country is the western Border.
- Kananaskis Country is seven kilometers (4 miles) southwest of the hamlet. You can enjoy: hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding, cross country skiing, camping and picnics in this Rocky Mountain paradise.
- Visit the Bragg Creek and area Chamber of Commerce website for a directory of ‘who’s who’ and ‘what to do’ in the Bragg Creek area.
A Little History—Bragg Creek hamlet was named after Albert Bragg, who homesteaded here in 1894 where he established the first cattle ranch in the area. At the time, fires had destroyed much of the forest and settlers in the late 1800’s were spared the arduous task of clearing the land to make way for their farms and ranches. Today most of the area is covered by lodgepole pines, Douglas firs and Aspen groves. The first post office was established at Bragg Creek in 1910. The post office, general store and the Wake-Siah Lodge next door were all operated by Mrs. Ida May White. The first youth hostel in Canada was established near Bragg Creek in 1933.
Amenities—Bragg Creek residents pride themselves on being a part of a full-service community, the commercial core offers a full range of services to meet daily needs plus a wide variety specialty services. The laid back and serene lifestyle is perfect for couples and families alike. In fact you’ll find that Bragg Creek is a ‘get away’ destination for many Calgarians and their guests. In the peace and tranquility, they can enjoy our fabulous restaurants and overnight accommodations. Many enjoy the luxury and pampering they’ll find at our unique restaurants, as well. Bragg Creek offers mountain paradise living and vacationing in a setting that is minutes to the cosmopolitan amenities of Calgary and the panoramic beauty of Kananaskis Country. Does it get any better?
The Heritage Mile—Discover the charm of White Avenue. It was originally an extension of the well-travelled Stoney Trail, a native trading route. The street was named after Ida May and Harry White, long time merchants of the area. It has traditionally been the commercial front street of Bragg Creek. Along this strip one can find the community centre and many businesses, some of which have roots dating back to the early 1900s. Some of the original log cabins which served as the post office and general store in times past, now offer fine food, gifts, native handicrafts, antiques and more.
Wintergreen Area—Wintergreen Woods is a residential community adjacent to the world-class Wintergreen Golf & Country Club 18-hole golf course. Most homes are situated on gorgeous 2-acre, treed properties, plus there’s an enclave of luxury homes on the golf course in a gated community. Wintergreen is a very quiet and private community located just 5 minutes northwest of the Hamlet.
Bragg Creek Area Subdivisions—The Bragg Creek area offers a wide variety of residential and farm/agricultural Subdivisions. From 2-4 acre parcels to 20 acre lots, to full quarter sections (160 acres), we truly offer ‘the best of the best’. Each subdivision has unique amenities, characteristics & ‘charm’, so you’ll be sure to find one that’s ‘just right’ for your family’s needs. Ask us for details.
Further Area Information—Looking for more information? Browse the links we have on our site to find out more about the amenities and services offered in the Bragg Creek & Southern Alberta Foothills areas. If you can’t find something in particular, feel free to contact us directly and we’ll be pleased to help.